Thursday, September 17, 2009

We Will Overcome

I am sorry that it has been so long since I blogged, but the last two days have been so busy that I have not had time. We woke up Sunday and a whole group of us went to church:—Katie and her kids, Suzanne and Mike with Josie, Renee, the Amani volunteers, and Asher and I. The service was amazing: white people and black people, Ugandans and Americans and Australians, young and old are worshipping together. I thought to myself that this is what Heaven will look like one day. As we sang a song titled “We Shall Overcome,” I looked at Asher standing beside me who would not take off his backpack because it was the first thing he had ever owned and then I looked at Josie who was crying incessantly because she was not feeling well. Tears came to my eyes as we sang, “We shall overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony.” It is so true: these children WILL overcome! These precious children who have suffered more than I can even fathom will overcome because of God’s love for them. We have such a long way to go, but we will overcome!

After church Asher and I went back to Amani and hung out for the rest of the day. I was able to take some pictures of most of the kids coming back to Nashville and just see life as Asher has lived it. When it was time for me to go back to the guesthouse, Asher began to cry because he wanted to go with me. I was nervous about bringing home with me after one day, but I couldn’t bear to leave him there while he was crying for his new mommy, so I followed the advice of one of the volunteers and brought him to the guesthouse with me. It was an amazing time. We bathed him, brushed his teeth, and put on his new pajamas. He was a new boy! He laughed and giggled and cuddled me for hours. Even today in the middle of the afternoon, Asher asked if we could go home and go to bed; that is how much fun we had!

Today (Monday here) was our court date. There is much I want to share, but suffice it all to say that our court date was postponed for two weeks. I still am not sure if that means we start the whole process over in two weeks or if we should have our ruling in two weeks. What that does mean is that I am here for a longer time than originally hoped for. Please pray for me as well as my family back home as we try to manage the logistics.

Again, there is more to share, but I will save it for another post. We need your prayers. We are all so thankful for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment