Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Team Asher

Posted on our refrigerator is a family schedule noting where all my children should be at any given time while I am gone. I have jokingly titled it "Schedule for Team Asher." However, the reality of this journey is that it has been a team effort. As I look back on all that has taken place, I recognize that this journey has been more of a relay where the baton has been handed off to the next person as he/she fulfills God's role in this crazy, but amazing, process.

The whole journey/race began with Katie Davis and her testimony of how God is working in and through her to serve His children in Uganda. Katie quickly handed the baton to a dear saint named Erin Littleton who lovingly showed both Danny and me as well as the Doyles how to navigate this whole adoption process. Through her the baton was then handed to Mary at Amani who has patiently walked the rest of the way with us. If it were not for these ladies, I can honestly say that the Doyles and the Kecks would not be bringing home their boys. God has used these women in a mighty and powerful way.

However, the journey/race would never have been completed without our amazing friends at home. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging. It's as though adopting a child from Uganda is as normal as going to work in the morning. I do not think that this would be the case everywhere...but it is in our community, and I am so thankful for that!

The baton has continued to be passed from small group members to teacher friends to students and their parents. Even as I type, parents are willing to carry the baton to help with meals and with taking care of my children (and even the dog!). Most important of all, however, are the prayers that are being lifted up for safe travel, protection from sickness, and our bonding with Asher.

So when I look at the fridge and see the agenda titled "Schedule for Team Asher," I am reminded that God has surrounded us with amazing friends and family who have not only supported us, but who have also carried us. I may be the one who gets to bring Asher across the "finish line," but I will never forget the team who made it all possible. Thank you, dear friends!

8 comments:

  1. We're so happy we are on Team Asher!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? You all are the anchor leg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see that t-shirt! JK. I'm praying for you. Update us when you can! I know you will take lots of pictures. Oh my, your journey is sooo exciting! It's covered with lots and lots of prayers for both sides...you as you first meet Asher and Danny and the kids as they anxiously await your return with their new son/brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to thank all of Team Asher for all the help you have given Dana, Danny and the kids. They are so blessed to have caring friends who have so generously supported them during this time.
    Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

    Danas Mom (mema)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keck Family,
    The Perkins have been covering you in our daily prayers. May your travels be safe, may you and Asher bond as Mommy's and their children do, may Danny and the kids fill all of God's love as they wait for you and Asher at home.

    Jenny Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  6. What would we do without the loving support of family and friends!? I feel honored to be a part (even if only a small little praying part) of your journey....God Bless You as you go! Can't wait till he's safe at home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear friend.....the time has come!!!!! You get to hold that precious Asher in your arms!!!! Thank you for walking through this journey with me....sometimes I don't know what I would have done without you. Thanks for guiding me...listening to me...and laughing with me. The Lord has truly knit our hearts together through this process. I am rejoicing over you right now!!!! Blessings, blessings, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO TEAM ASHER GO!!!

    I am praying & rejoicing for the Keck family. Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

    I can feel your excitement, happiness and joy through your words.....Looking forward to seeing the new family portrait of the Keck's.
    What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete