Thursday, September 24, 2009

Comedy of Errors

This trip so far has been comprised of two actions: laughing and crying! Today I am focusing on the laughing.

Asher is very inquisitive as he is seeing and doing so many things for the first time. He loves to go through my luggage and bags and just look at all the goodies. He is particularly interested in my makeup bag. Yesterday Asher said he needed to go to bathroom, and he was gone for quite a while, so I went to check on him. I found him “playing” with my razor. Needless to say, he cut his finger and had no idea how. We were able to make it all better, though, with a camouflage band aid (or “plaster” in Uganda). He was very proud of his new look!

When it was time to leave, I couldn’t find the key to my room. Knowing that Asher likes to pick up, I asked him if he knew where it was. He immediately went to the suitcase, opened it up, unzipped an inside pocket, unwrapped some tissue, and pulled out the key. This kid is good!

Another running joke is my total lack of preparation. I think I may be the only person who has ever traveled to Africa without bug spray or sunscreen, and I am constantly borrowing these items from my traveling companions. (Really…you wonder how Danny even lets me out of the house!) I joke that I may have forgotten some of the essentials, but I sure did bring a fancy backpack! For those of you who know me, you know this is true. It’s all in the look!

Asher and I are still in the bonding process. I taught him how to play Go Fish and Old Maid. He enjoys the quality one-on-one time, but quickly tires from the concentration and starts running around. He has already learned many “American” terms and is trying so hard to please. He loves Aunty Renee, Aunty Suzanne, and Aunty Carly. I am trying to get Renee to quit spoiling him with suckers and gum, but she is relentless! As you can imagine, going next door to Aunty Renee’s room is one of his favorite activities. I’m trying hard not to get my feelings hurt!

I am still so thankful for Renee and Suzanne and their words of encouragement. The whole process is more difficult than I imagined, mainly because I miss Danny and need him here with me. It just feels a little incomplete without him. For those families coming after me, I highly recommend that both parents come for at least part of the time. I know, however, that God is providing in the presence of Renee, Mike, Suzanne, and Mark, and He is faithful to meet all of our needs in Christ Jesus.

I am off to the Market this morning and then to pick up Asher for lunch. Blessings to all of you who are reading this post. May God reveal Himself to you as He is revealing Himself to those of us who are in Uganda. Love you and miss you!

8 comments:

  1. the wrights continue to pray for you several times a day. it is such a gift to get to hear about your journey while you are still there! God is using you all to open our eyes to needs in Uganda and to further His Kingdom. thank you for sharing this special time! i can't wait to meet asher. praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't wait until all the Kecks are back under one roof. I can't imagine how hard this is without Danny there, but I so appreciate your transparency. It is amazing how God still has you surrounded by homefront support. Glad all of you CPA folks in Uganda have each other! Praying for you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are bonding! I love your stories. And also a confirmation for me this morning. We have been going back and forth about my hubby coming and just yesterday started leaning towards him coming with - so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and little Asher in these first few days. I have a feeling you'll be sharing the memories of this time for years to come. Soak it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for you sister .... thanks for all the updates ... can't wait to meet Asher in person... will be praying for court Monday ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the updates-I log on everyday hoping to hear from or see you and Asher! I'm sooo excited to get him home! And that video for Danny is about the cutest thing ever!! Love, love to you both--xoxoxo-Lynne -Praying for court!-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mrs. Keck!
    Wow, I have to say that Asher is so smart! He is one genius of a kid! He fits right in with your family! I am siting in the Good Cup with Sophie and we can not stop playing the video! It is so cute! I miss you in class! I wish you could be here with us sharing every harsh minute of school! :( I am just kidding! :) Can't wait to see you and Asher!!
    Love Ya!
    Presley (and Sophie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana,

    We haven't stopped praying....Saw Danny last night at the Middle School game at Goodpasture, and will see him again tonight at the High School game at DCA....I just looked at him and tried to imagine all that he's feeling right now with everything going on....I'm sure he's ran the whole gamut, as you say you have. What a day of joy it will be next week when all of you are reunited!

    Well, Asher sounds so fun! I love the "missing key" story. Gosh, he is already such a big helper to you! All moms need a kid like that!

    I keep imagining him on his first plane ride, escalators, elevators, moving walk-ways in the airport, meeting his brothers, sister and daddy, walking into your home/his room, the new sights/sounds/smells/tastes, and on and on......Every new experience will be such an adventure!

    Well, just wanted to say Hi and that we are so thrilled for all of you Kecks! Seems like y'all have been gone forever!

    Love from the Kemps!

    ReplyDelete