Thursday, September 17, 2009

Court Day

As many of you read the Mayernicks’ blog, you understand just what those details that I mentioned in the last blog are all about. If not, let me share with you the heartbreaking two days that we have had.

When we were in Kampala for our court date, we asked if we could go ahead and have a TB test done on Josie and Asher since there is a new U.S. law requiring this test. While we were there, the nurse decided to take blood to test for aids as well. Much to our shock, Josie tested positive. It was one of those rare moments when one’s entire world changes in the blink of an eye. I know that the Mayernicks’ world will never be the same. My heart is breaking for this dear family of God as they struggle with the decisions that they have in front of them.

As we were mourning and weeping, Asher could not help but know that something was not the same. He began to withdraw a little, and it took some time (and a “sweetie,” or sucker) for him to come “back” to me. By the time we got home and got ready for bed, however, he was back to his giggly and roly-poly self. (Side note: Asher loves to brush his teeth and organize his belongings…he will be great for Owen!)

Today we went in to town and looked around. We visited with Auntie Katie and even hooked back up with Mike and Suzanne at the Source CafĂ© for a little while. When we went to visit Amani, we decided it was best that Asher stay at Amani until we “passed” court. Leaving him there was one of the hardest things I have ever done. He would not look at me, he pulled his shirt over his face to hide the tears, and began rocking. Compare that mental picture with the pictures I posted on facebook. I know that if there is a chance that this process will take longer than expected and I have to go home without him, it is the best thing for him to stay at Amani. However, it doesn’t make it any easier. It hurts to the deepest parts of my heart.

I could never have foreseen how painful this process could be, nor could I have foreseen how much I could love a little boy in so short a time. Mac, Owen, and Sylvie are going to enjoy him so much. He already knows their names, and we talk about them all the time. He will say things like “I want to color with Mac” or “Where is Owen?” or “I want Sylvie to come and play with me.”

There are several prayer requests, as you can imagine. First, I ask that you continue to pray for the Mayernicks and for God to anoint them with His peace, strength, discernment, and perseverance. Pray over sweet Josie and that God would protect this little girl, “the least of these.” Pray for our TB tests to come back negative. And lastly, pray that when we go to court on September 28 that we receive our verbal and written ruling. To quote dear Barbie Doyle, pray that the Wind of God would blow through that courtroom in a mighty and powerful way like only God, the Author and Finisher of all things, can do.

I know I have not been able to respond to emails, facebook, and the blog as much I would like, but it is hard to find a place with Internet and when I do, it is not always working. Please know that your comments are precious to me. Keep them coming!

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying many, many times a day for all of you. I know that you all are being covered in prayer from all over the globe! It is wonderful to be able to watch your journey, the ups and downs and to see you all trust God for all these details that He already knows. We will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying so hard for you and your family, Dana! Give Asher great big hugs from Auntie Rachel and Auntie Arielle. The Amani families are so LOVED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana, the Wheeler family is praying for you and the Mayernick family constantly!! I love this quote..."Adoption is at the center of God's heart, but it will rip yours out!" We are praying for MIRACLES!!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talking to my mom last night about your situation and the Mayernicks I thought James 1:2-4 might be a great encourager for you! "Count it all JOY my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces STEADFASTNESS. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be PERFECT and COMPLETE, lacking in NOTHING" I am certainly praying for yall!

    Love,
    Becca James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read last night in scripture about God MELTING mountains and I am praying that happens for you sister and for Suz/Mike ... love you all !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying constantly. I can hardly get anything else done, but I know that prayer is the most important thing I'm called to. May God be glorified in this and all things. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We miss you!!! Hahaha i'm sitting in english supposed to be working on my crede but I could not resist checking y'alls blog...i talked to my parents and they said asher is an awesome kid! i literally am counting down the days til yall bring those babies home!!! coach keck delivered your hug to me :) ...we are praying all the time for you, my parents, josie, asher, renee, katie, and everyone else there. give asher some lovin from me!! (he'll know me son enough im gonna be babysitting whenever yall need it!!) i love yall!

    grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mrs. Keck right now I'm in english doing my creed and I thought of you and Asher and everything that has happened this past week. I cant help but think about how adorable he is! I can't wait to meet him when you come back home! The eigth grade misses you SO MUCH! We pray for you everyday in homeroom and my family and I pray for you everynight. God is good and obviously he has a bigger plan then we can all see...everyting will turn out all right. I can't wait until you and Asher come back!

    Courtney Cone
    P.S. dont get mad at Me, Grace, and Presley for getting on your blog during school. Its a REALLY GOOD CAUSE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We miss you Mrs. Keck and we can't wait for you and Asher to come back.We are praying for you!
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Mrs. Keck,
    I miss you so much! I think about you very often, and I wonder what you are doing each day. As a matter or a fact I am in English class right now. I am with Courtney, Grace, and Rebekah! We are having a great time, "working on our creeds" haha I am so excited to see Asher in his mommy and daddy's arms! We are praying for you everyday! I love you so much and hope to see you soon!

    Presley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying the Lord would move mountains and that HIS name would be glorified through it all. Praying each of you pass court without incident!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a friend of Chris & Lindsey Wheeler. When I saw "Urgent Prayer Request" on her blog I had to see what was going on. I know that you do not know me but please know that I am praying for you and your family. My brother and sister-in-law adopted from Guatemala 3 years ago and go to bring my sweet nephew home 2 years ago.

    Father God, Right now I pray for this sweet family. I ask that you would take this situation into Your hands...and that they would be able to bring their little man home soon. In Jesus Mighty Name - Amen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smiling at your "blog verse"! Enough said! :)

    Zephaniah 3:17

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying without ceasing. Love to you all. I just talked to Al and he said he got to talk to Asher today. He (Asher) sounds like SUCH a sweetheart. I cannot wait for Pray to have a play date with all these boys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love you so much....I will not stop praying until all of you are home...even praying that Gwen and I get dates soon so that we will be with you during the last part of your time....added your updates to my blog...talk soon...love ya...and will you kiss my boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I came across your blog this evening and I can't stop thinking about all the families with you. I think it is an amazing thing what you and your family are doing for Asher. Your last several posts brought tears to my eyes. God has truly blessed you. He has filled your heart and family with true blessings and endless love. Adopting a child from overseas is something I hope to do one day. Blogs like yours make my heart grow even more compassionate towards doing so. We live to serve the Lord, to reach to others, to give and to love. Taking a child into your home that isn't as fortunate is an amazing way to fulfill our purpose. I completely envy your family. You are certainly in my prayers. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are touching lives, like my own, that you don't even know : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH Dana.... my heart aches for you, Asher, Josie, the Mayernicks. We will continue to pray, and I will keep reading Lindsey's FB to keep updated. Also will read here. So you are in Kampala...where are you staying? I know that city is not exactly as wonderful as Jinja. I know how internet does and does not work for no reason at all. I will pray for rest for you all, and that those courts will miraculously be moved to "LET MY PEOPOLE GO"!
    Love and hugs... Dee Anne Proctor

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dana, Wilson and I can't wait to meet Asher. We will be praying in the morning as you are in court. Hurry home and know how thrilled we all are to have a new "family member"!! love to you two!

    ReplyDelete