Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Difference a Week Can Make

Last night Mark and Carly Button flew into Jinja for a week and joined Mike, Suzanne, Renee, and me for dinner. As we sat around a table clothed in white with music quietly playing in the background, I thought to myself what a difference a week can make. It was one week ago that we arrived in Jinja filled with hope and anticipation. It was four days ago that the world as we knew it was rocked to the core. And yet, here we were, with dear friends feeling the presence and encouragement of the Lord and ready to face for what lay ahead of us. What a difference a week can make.

I thought you all might enjoy some more pictures taken one week after we arrived (still can't upload them...please check facebook). These pictures were taken Saturday morning here (around 2:00 a.m. in Nashville.) As I look at these pictures, an amazing truth hits me. The only difference between me and these orphans, "the least of these," is this: God saw fit to have me be born in America to parents who would love me and raise me in the nurture and admonition of the Lord, and He ordained these to be born here. It could just as easily have been the other way around. I could be the little boy with wet pants running around the grounds at Amani. I could be the little girl reaching up with both of her hands and saying, "Hold me." Neither of us did anything to earn or deserve where we born: it is the sovereignty of God and nothing else. And then I have to ask myself: Why then did God allow me to be born where I was? And what I am going to do about it?

This week has forced me to look at the world and my responsibility differently. Part of me can't wait to get home to some "normalcy." However, I now what a selfish desire that is. The need here (and around the world) is so real. These children do not go away when I go home. God is calling His people, His church, His bride, to love them and serve them. I am amazed when I look at Katie Davis who, at twenty one years old, chooses to live here...in the poverty...in the brokenness. She would rather be here than going to college or being in a sorority, and I have to confess that I am not there. After a while, I want to look away. God, please forgive me for my selfish heart.

Still, it was another good day with Asher. After breakfast (fresh fruit, banana pancakes, and coffee...yummy!) the whole gang walked across the street to Amani and played with the kids. When it was time for their lunch, the rest of the group headed to Katie's to help feed the children of Amazima while I decided to stay back so that I could spend more time with Asher when he got up from his rest. This break gave me several hours to catch up on email, facebook, etc. It was a wonderful time of refreshment: I sat on one of the porches with a Diet Coke (I love this new hotel!) and used the wireless internet for at least an hour. I even had time to take a little nap. When it was time for Asher to get up, I walked across the street and brought Asher back to the hotel with me. We sat outside and colored and played with stickers. For a little extra treat, I got him an ice cream sundae. He loved it! When it was time for him to go back for dinner, I walked him back across the street, and he ran straight in and started playing with his friends. Our routine is certainly getting easier!

The joy of spending time with Asher is always mixed with great mourning for the Mayernicks. I am still amazed at how they have honored God through this whole process. I am glad that Mark is here so that he can now pour into Mike just as Mike has poured into us ladies. Again, it is another testimony of God's provision. Part of that provision is you all back home who have been so encouraging. It helps me feel connected and now isolated. I am so thankful for you!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like an amazing day .... we are all lifting you up ... i think you and Asher are starting to smile alike ... please tell him has lots of friends here in TN ...

    love ya

    ReplyDelete