Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gotcha Day!

Well, we all made it to Uganda, but not without a few bumps in the road. And while I want to share with everyone what the Mayernicks, Renee, Curry, and I have experienced since we landed, I just don’t think I can put it into words. The emotions are just too big. Therefore, I think I will simply recount the events. It will take much longer for me to actually process the whole journey. I can say this, though, with certainty: my God is a very big God!

First of all, we could not drive to Jinja when we landed because of some rioting that was taking place in Kampala, the capital city through we had to travel to get to our destination. Therefore, we stayed at a hotel in Entebbe. While I know it is a small thing, I found a gecko, frog, and roach in the shower as I entered the room. It was at this point that I knew that we weren’t in Kansas any longer.

We arrived at Amani early the next morning. Asher had not been told that I was coming, so my walking in was quite a shock to him. Still, he came up and immediately hugged me and wouldn’t let me let him go. Without even making eye contact, Asher said, “I want to go home now.” My first response was “With me?” and he said, “Yes.” Again…there are no words.

From that moment on, Asher would not leave me and we began the bonding process. We played at Amani for a little bit (tried to break out some crayons and paper, but it became a little chaotic!). We then made a quick drive into the town of Jinja where we exchanged some money. On the way back, Asher and I got to take a boda (motorcycle) ride where he sat in front and I sat side-saddled in a skirt. I must say, it was quite a sight.

After our short trip to town, we all went to Katie’s to help her feed the children of Amazima. Let me first confess that I was in no way ready for what lay in front of me. I have traveled to Europe several times and I even spent a summer in Hong Kong as a missionary, so I thought that I was ready to make this trip without Danny and all on my own. I thought of myself as a rather resilient person with fortitude and strength of mind. I was wrong.

I now know what fortitude looks like, though. It looks like a young boy—perhaps seven or eight—walking by himself to town at 5:00 in the morning to get enough water to last his family through the day. It looks like a boy desperate for food but infected with small pox begging to come in and being told “no.” It looks like 300 children standing patiently in line for the only meal they will receive that day, then bowing and saying, “Thank you, Auntie.” I thought fortitude was staying up late to finish your homework or finishing a hard football practice. I never knew…

I am overwhelmed by everything that I have seen and experienced in a 24-hour period. I am broken by the poverty and great need, yet I am overjoyed with meeting Asher and how quickly he has taken to me. My emotions have run the gamut today, but I am so thankful for God and His presence and protection. Thank you for your prayers. Keep ‘em coming!
I love you all!

14 comments:

  1. So glad that you made it there safely and have asher in your arms! i hope that yall are doin great!

    Love,
    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is SO GOOD! I am crying at my computer. I can't wait to hear more as you process through everything you are seeing and learning. I LOVE that Asher was ready to go home with your right away. Praying for safety, for a precious time with Asher while you are in Uganda and for God to be your strength--He will..."for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor.12:9. Enjoy your son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats SO awesome!! im just as ready as asher for yall to be home!!! have you tried the banana bread at the source yet?? SO GOOD. can't wait for another update to hear how you see more and more of God's power throughout the trip!

    love love love,
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. So moved I can't stand it. I'm so anxious to see pictures of Asher with his mommy. I know you have many! I will wait patiently yet anxiously for the whole story. These tidbits are precious to have for now. Take care and we are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been siliently reading your blog and so proud of you--of the holy spirit in you that you have heeded to. I called mom and read this to her and we both cried. God has gone before you and planned these days. He is soooo much bigger than we know. You and all the Kecks are in our prayers--Kay Jones

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear, dear friend....I am weeping. Weeping tears of joy that Asher has been in your arms....weeping for those little ones that have ripped your heart out. I am praying for tomorrow's court date. And I am praying for Arnold. Just got off the phone with Danny...he says all is well at the Keck household....so thoughtful to call and let me know how you are doing. Much, much love.....praying sister....I know tomorrow is a big day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw Danny at church this morning, talked to him a bit, he updated me a little. I'm so glad you got there and am amazed at how Asher has taken to you. God is so good! I know it's hard to be there without Danny and I am praying for you and Asher. Danny told me about Albert, I'm checking on that for the others to come. Love you Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss you already so much but am so thankful for your safe arrival. I have been praying that everything will go well tomorrow in court. Tell Asher that his mema can't wait to meet him and give him a big hug. I've already added bubble gum to my treat shelf. Take care of yourself and know how much I love you and how very proud I am of you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing you have given in this blog post, Dana. May God continue to give you strength, stamina, and love for Asher and the people you meet. I'm praying for the little ones you mentioned, for Katie, and for Amazima. It sounds like a BIG, BIG picture that you will never forget.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. please know many will be praying for court .... what a sweet and emotional day i am sure you had meeting Asher ... thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dana
    We feel your joy on that gotcha day! It brings back so many memories! We know you must be overwhelmed tired joyful thankful, so many emotions you are feeling right now. Tell Asher his cousins are anxious to meet him! We continue to pray for you and Asher. Know that God is there with you and He is mighty!
    Love Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the humbling update....we are so glad Asher is bonding so easily and can't wait to meet him. Fortitude....reading all the updates this morning, I have prayed and cried and cried and prayed. Traci

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying Psalm 34! Know God has gone before you! Bless you, sister! We are loving your family while you are with Asher....be home soon, that's our prayer!
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dana, how sweet that Asher took right to you. I will be praying for you, Asher, and the rest of your sweet family at home.
    Much Love,
    Janet Denton

    ReplyDelete