Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Home, Sweet Home

After an incredibly long trip home (29+ hours), we arrived at the Nashville airport to Danny and the kids waiting for us at the gate. This was an unexpected surprise as people usually have to wait at the security check. It also gave our immediate family a chance to hug and cry and still get ourselves together before we greeted the dear friends who came to meet Asher.

I cannot tell you how sweet it was to see those smiling faces and colorful banners and balloons waiting on us. It reminded me of child birth: after all the pain, you hear the sweetest sound, and you get to hold this precious child in your arms; that moment makes you forget all the suffering that you just endured. Walking out hand-in-hand with our entire family and seeing all the kind souls who came to meet us was just that moment for me: it redeemed all of the tears and anxiety that our family had been through.

Asher was quite shy at first, but he soon warmed up to the crowd and began laughing and giggling. The part that made my heart sing, however, was watching Mac, Owen, and Sylvie love on Asher and take care of him. It felt like there were five parents loving on Asher instead of just two. I was so proud of them and how they received their new brother. I know (having just been through the same thing in Uganda) that they are still in the "honeymoon" phase, but it was still nice to have that affirmation when we first arrived.

I cannot get over how much Mac, Owen, and Sylvie have grown in just two months. I think Mac is at least three inches taller than he was when I left. And Sylvie seems so grown up! I know that my being gone has been hard on them both physically and emotionally, but God has used this time for good in their lives. I am thankful that He has redeemed all of the moments that I have been away.

I think that is my takeaway for the entire journey: God is a Redeemer. He has redeemed me, He has redeemed the time our family has been separated, and He is redeeming Asher and giving him status as a child of the Covenant. While it has not been easy and I would not wish the process on anyone, God has shown me that He can make all things new and that He can use all things for good. It is never easy and usually painful, but God promises that He will redeem all things.









6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so precious!!! I love seeing you ALL together. I am just crying at my computer looking at your pictures and reading your words of God as our redeemer. It is so true! I cannot wait to meet Asher. My mom called me from school today and said, "guess who I just got to meet?!" I am very jealous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home!!! These pictures are priceless....I am so excited for y'all. I hope to meet precious Asher soon! Eliana and I will have to come visit CPA. Praying you get some rest this week!!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising our Lord that you're home! Our family has been praying for you from afar. We'll continue to pray for His joy and strength in these next months.

    ~The Walker Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful to see all of you together...praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love seeing all the Kecks together! Please blog at least every now and then to keep us in the loop! I know that's selfish, but I can't help it! I'm dying to meet sweet Asher. Maybe at Christmas time! We are still praying for all the adjustments in the days, weeks, and months to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. What a wonderful reunion. Glad someone had the foresight to take pics. :o)

    ReplyDelete